Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Member Spotlight: Megan Reimer



Name: Megan Reimer
Hometown: Hamilton, Ohio
Graduated fromGardner-Webb University
Degree: Health & Wellness
Favorite Food: PB & J



So Megan, where are you currently serving? I am currently serving at the Baker County Health Department as a Health Educator.

What exactly does a "health educator" do? As a Health Educator I do a variety of activities. My main responsibilities include facilitating classes in youth development and drug and violence prevention, tobacco, and dental.  I also participate in diabetes self-management follow-up's and several community presentations.

Wow,that sounds exciting! So what do you feel is the biggest impact you have made within the community through AmeriCorps? I think my Tobacco Education Classes I facilitate with underage users is where I feel most successful. Going into my term I knew I wouldn’t make a change with everyone I came in contact with, but I feel differently when serving with youth tobacco users. Even if I don’t influence each one to quit, I know that I made an impact on the way they view the consequences of tobacco. I can honestly say I believe each teenager learns something new by attending the four weeks of class.

That's great! What would you say is your favorite memory/experience thus far? My favorite experience so far was teaching dental education to 2nd and 3rd graders at the local elementary school. I enjoyed this day so much because it was out of the ordinary serving with a grade level other than ninth. The younger kids have so much enthusiasm and were so excited to learn something new from an outside speaker.

I'm sure the elementary students loved all the props you use! So what are you looking forward to the most for the rest of your term? I am looking forward to all of the outside service projects we have planned for the next couple months. Outside service is something I have really enjoyed over the first half of my term and I know the second half will be just as exciting. In April I plan to serve for the Special Olympics, Camp Boggy Creek, and Clean Green Earth. Another project I am looking forward to is volunteering with another AmeriCorps program with a local state park.

Final question...do you have any post-AmeriCorps plan? That is the mystery question! As of now I have no plans for after my service term. I will possibly be attending graduate school or looking for a job. I know whatever path I choose I will take my experience in AmeriCorps with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment